What is SEO Audit and How to Conduct It?
Are you sure your website is perfect and engaging? Or the content of your website is SEO friendly? And what would you do to make that sure? The solution to all your problems is performing an SEO Audit.
Search Engine Optimisation Audit is research of all the factors that work on visibility in search engines. This method gives an idea of what your website or individual page looks like.
There are various methods and tools to perform SEO audits. In this article, we are going to discuss how to conduct a professional SEO audit.
Seo Audit and It’s Types
An SEO audit is a method of interpreting how perfect your web page is. If your website has any issue, this technique will help you to correct it.
The ultimate goal of a Search Engine Optimisation is to discover weak points of your website that will influence the performance.
SEO audit is done for marketing purposes only. As a businessperson you need to understand the issues with your website and the recommendations suggested should meet your needs.
You have to make sure to complete all the suggestions to make your website SEO friendly. To complete this procedure, all you need to do is to follow a proper road map.
Types of SEO Audit
Before jumping on how to conduct a professional SEO audit, we will discuss the three types of SEO audits mentioned in this section. They are as follows:
- Technical SEO Audit.
- On Page SEO Audit.
- Off Page SEO Audit.
- Technical SEO Audit: Technical SEO audit plays an important role for the maintenance of websites. This process checks all kinds of technical parts of websites. An audit checks whether the site is optimised properly for search engines or not.
- On Page SEO Audit: On Page SEO audit means content uploaded on a website. Content can be in the form of images, videos, texts etc. This is where keywords and meta tags are being used.
- Off Page SEO Audit: Off Page SEO are those activities which are taken outside of your website. Such as adding links to other well-known webpages to your website. This shows your website is a trusted website. It also helps your website for higher ranking.
How to conduct a professional SEO Audit
Previously, we have discussed what an SEO audit is and its different types. In this section we are going to discuss how to conduct a professional SEO audit.
There are few measures which can be followed to perform an SEO audit which is mentioned below:
1. Keyword Research
Before creating a content, keywords research is a must. You should understand what the user wants. Before producing any content you should search the keywords on Google. There you will get to know what the other competitors are doing to attract the users. Researching keywords will help you to understand what people are looking for. After that, work according to it. So, if you create content according to people’s needs, then it will increase your rank.
2. Identify duplicate content
The most important function of SEO is to create plagiarism free content. Which means, neither you should copy any content from other websites nor other websites copy yours. To make this sure, Google can detect that a content is being deliberately copied on your website or not.
3. Meta Tags Should be Optimised
Meta tags contain meta titles and meta descriptions. Meta title and meta descriptions helps Google to identify the contents of the page. This helps the users with the contents of your page which will upgrade your content.
4. Generating Internal links
How can you make it easy for other search engines to find pages on your website? Here, internal links play a vital role. While creating new content, link other pages to it. This will help users to find other pages easily at one place as well as improve your SEO.
5. Page Speed
When you are looking for content and the page does not load quickly. What would you do? Move to another page, isn’t it? If your site is slow and the web page is taking a lot of time. The user will go to another page which is faster than yours. This will affect your ranking. So, make sure, while auditing, check your page speed.
6. Secure your Website
Is your website a secure website? How can we know a website is secure? How can we know a website is secure? Your website shows a message, next to the URL, whether the website is secure or not.
Website security influences SEO and plays an important part in your ranking. But how? Website security makes sure that all your information and data is secure. For example, ‘Website A’ and ‘Website B’ both have the dress that you want. But website A is secure and other is not. So where would you like to enter your card details? Definitely website A, as it will keep all your data safe.
Why SEO Audit is important
Now, we know how to perform SEO audits. But why SEO audit is so important, that it needs to be done regularly. In this section we are going to discuss the importance of SEO audits. Some of these are mentioned below:
1. Enhances website’s performance
SEO audit should be done regularly, just like your vehicle needs servicing regularly to improve its performance.
Performing an SEO audit will identify all issues your website has and also work on its security. As we know, SEO changes from time to time. So performing audits will improve its performance.
2. Use Updated SEO techniques
Search engine optimization is a type of industry that does not remain stagnant. Therefore, an SEO audit makes sure that you are using updated SEO techniques. This will help your website’s rank.
3. Keep A Track On Your Competitors
The best way to do an SEO audit is to do an audit on your competitors. Studying all the strategies and tactics of your competitors can be helpful. With this you can get an idea of your mistakes and how to correct them. That is why always keep a close eye on your opponent.
SEO Audit Tools
We have already discussed why SEO audits are important. But what tools do you use for auditing? The SEO audit tools are mentioned below:
- Screaming Frog
- SEO Site Checkup
- SE Ranking
- Page Speed Insight
- Google SERP Snippet Optimisation tool
- Word Counter
- Google’s Schema Markup Validator
- On Crawl
- Lumar Website Intelligence.
SEO Audit Checklist
There are few steps which you need to follow to boost your website:
- Speed up your site
- Set up keyword rank tracking.
- Fix broken links
- Check whether your site is mobile friendly or not.
- Include keywords in Image Alt text
- Fix your website errors by conducting audits regularly.
- Improve on page SEO for important content.
- Make sure your content gives what users want.
- Remove low quality and unnecessary pages.
- Identify those content which needs improvement.
- Switch from HTTP to HTTPS to ensure website security.
- Scan for website errors and broken links.
In this article we have discussed all the things you need to know about Search Engine Optimisation Audit. As a business owner your website needs to be updated, which will attract the users. And for that conducting professional SEO audit regularly is necessary.