You may probably have heard the term “Here’s the link to join my Discord. Come on; we’ll have fun”. But the question arises. What’s Discord? Well, in layman terms, Discord is an application which can be used for communication via text and voice chats. Gamers and live streamers mainly use it. Gamers like Shroud and Dr Disrespect use Discord to chat with their viewers. But nowadays Discord has become mainstream. It is used by developers such as popular unofficial android developers like XDA Developers, and Samsung is integrating Discord into their latest mobile phones. Some of the Reddit communities even use it.
The fixes which can be used to make your mic work in Discord are :
Every application has its bugs and errors. Discord has one too. It is prominently being its mic, not working. Which means the user can hear the voices of all the members, but his mic will not work. Does this happen to all of its users? No. Is there a fix for Discord mic not working? The good news is Yes. If you have encountered this issue, I would suggest you update your audio drivers before you go searching for internet about your Discord mic not working. It can be a glitch which can be caused by old and missing audio drivers and doing this may solve this glitch.
1. Resetting Voice Settings on Discord to resolve the error Discord Mic Not Working:
If you fiddled around in voice settings on Discord and you can’t remember (Yeah. It happens a lot. And it happens to the best of us ;). What settings you messed with or turned something on or off by mistake, then you can reset the voice settings. Here’s how:
- Open User Settings
- In-App settings, open Voice and Video Settings
- Go down till you see a Red button called Reset Voice Settings. Click That
- A message will show up, which is basically a warning that all your settings will be reset and then click OK.
Boom! There you go. You’ve now Reset your voice settings. You can start fiddling again. 🙂
2. Running Discord as Administrator:
Running Discord in Administrator mode may solve the problem. To Run Discord as Administrator, all you have to do is:
- Quit Discord by right-clicking the Discord icon on system Tray and then by clicking Quit Discord.
- In Desktop, Right-click on Discord and open Compatibility Tab.
- Under the Tab, there’ll be a checkbox called “Run the Program as an Administrator“. Enable that option.
- Click Apply and then OK and then run Discord.
- Check if your mic works.
3. Logging out and then Logging in:
Logging out of Discord and then Logging in may solve the problem of mic not working.
- To log out, all you have to do is open User settings
- Go down till you see an Option called Log Out. Click on it
- There will be an alert indicating that you’ll log out. Click Logout
- Then insert your details and log in again.
If you should probably solve the mic problem, sometimes the solutions lie in the most basic solutions. ;).
1. An outdated version of your audio driver:
It is one of the most prominent reasons due to which your discord mic is not working. Outdated version generally could have a wrong or missing audio driver who could have inevitable glitches. So it is advised that you update your audio driver frequently to enjoy games. You can do this by manually updating your driver or choosing an option of automatic driver update. Both of these steps are mentioned below.
Manual driver update:
If you have knowledge related to the audio driver, then you can directly visit the official website and download latest audio card which would instantly update your audio driver. Although make sure that you download the correct driver which would be compatible with your operating system because of a wrong audio driver could lead to more problems and crashes in the operating system to fix the error Discord Mic Not Working.
Automatic driver update:
If you feel that you should be secured and do not want to try any experiment for your operating system, you can go for automatic driver update. It is an option available in the discord application which directly updates your driver whenever a newer version of the app is rolled out. Once you have selected automatic driver update, your driver would be updated and this you can solve the problem where discord mic is not working.
4. Changing input device settings to use your Microphone headset as the default
If the above solutions don’t solve the mic, not working problems, it may be due to the fact that your system is using its own built-in microphone and is ignoring your microphone headset. To set your own device as default, you have to do the following :
- Make sure that your device is connected to your system.
- Open User Settings on Discord and open App Settings
- In-App Settings, open Voice and Video Settings and see what the Input Device is
- If your device is connected, it should be visible on the Drop-Down menu on Input Device Option.
- Select your device from that list and make sure that Input Volume is set to Max
5. Changing Automatic Input Sensitivity Settings :
If you STILL don’t solve your Discord mic not working problem, then you’ve probably disabled the Automatically Determine Input sensitivity setting. To Enable it, you have to do :
- Open User Settings in Discord
- Under App Settings, open Voice and Video Settings
- There will be an option called Automatically determine input sensitivity. If it’s in blue, then it means it’s enabled, and you’re good to go.
- If it’s not, then it means that it’s disabled and you have to allow it. Enable it by clicking the icon on the side of the option.
6. Enabling Push to Talk:
If that still doesn’t solve your mic problem, breathe in, breathe out and change the mode from Voice activity to Push to talk. It basically means that you have to push a button to speak. It is somewhat irritating, but it works. To enable push to talk, you have to do the following:
- Open User Activity on Discord.
- Open Voice and Video under App Settings
- In Voice and Video Enable Push to Talk and select a keyboard shortcut to push that button to communicate.
You could also try to do things like signing out of your account and then signing back in to check if the mic is still not working. Note that signing out of the app will require a couple of tries; it does not sign out just directly at once. However, this could be a subjective issue which only we faced when trying to fix Discord mic not working error.
If the above solutions didn’t get your mic working on Discord. Reinstall the application. Reinstalling the app may fix this problem. If the issue persists then contact the official support of Discord.
- 0.1 1. Resetting Voice Settings on Discord to resolve the error Discord Mic Not Working:
- 0.2 2. Running Discord as Administrator:
- 0.3 3. Logging out and then Logging in:
- 0.4 4. Changing input device settings to use your Microphone headset as the default
- 0.5 5. Changing Automatic Input Sensitivity Settings :
- 0.6 6. Enabling Push to Talk:
- 1 Other fixes
- 2 Conclusion