Google Docs make creating and sharing documents among peers so easy for us. If you have a working device and an internet connection, you can rely on Google Docs for creating well-detailed documents online. Not just this, Google Docs also has multiple editing features that enable you to edit your document online and give the doc a professional look. Making your document look professional is a skill. People experiment with different editing features provided to find the perfect look for their doc. From agents selling real estate in Perth to students, everyone uses Google Docs.
One such way is to change margins in Google Docs. Now, although Google Docs has made sure to make the features easy-to-use yet, it can be confusing for a few users to understand them. If you are struggling with the mechanism of how to change margins in Google Docs, we are going to try our best to help you out through this article.
What are margins on Google Docs?
Before we start discussing the steps of changing the margins on Google Docs, let’s get a clearer idea of what margins are? When you open a Google Doc, you can see that the page on your screen is differentiated from the rest of the content by its “edges”. These edges are at a fixed distance from the document’s content and the words on the page. This space between the document’s content and edges is called “margins”. The margin size requirement differs from user to user. This is why Google Docs has provided the users with a feature by which they can change these margins according to their needs.
How to Change Margins in Google Docs
You must know that the procedure for such things varies from device to device. This is why we will divide this guide into three parts:
- On Laptop (Mac or Windows)
- On iPhone
- On Android
Let’s dive into it!
We know this is what most of you are looking for since it is the most convenient to use Google Docs on a laptop. Let’s see how you can change margins on Google Docs using a laptop.
Using the Ruler
- The first method by which you can change the margins on Google Docs is by using the ruler in the document. The ruler is a thin grey rectangular box that runs along the top of your document.
- If you are unable to locate the ruler, it might be because it is turned off. To enable the ruler visibility, Go to View and click on Show Ruler.
- Using this ruler is quite easier than it looks. You just have to click and drag the available pointers on either side according to your requirements, which changes the margin size.
Using the Page Setup Option
- Another way to change margins on Google Docs without experimenting with the ruler is to use the Page Setup Option.
- Click on File -> Page Setup.
- A page setup dialogue box appears. In this dialogue box, you can enter exact values for the top, bottom, left, and right margins.
- After having entered the values (in inches), click OK.
To change margins on Google Docs on an iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the menu on Google Docs by clicking on three dots in the screen’s upper-right corner.
- In the menu, click on Page Setup and click on Margins.
- You’ll be presented with specific options and choose whatever suits you the best.
For android users, we have a piece of bad news. The page margins cannot be changed on an android device, unfortunately. However, there are other things that you can do to achieve the same.
Changing the Page Orientation
- Instead of changing margins on Google Docs, you can change Page Orientation.
- Click on Page Setup and click on Orientation.
- Set and Orientation type: Portrait or Landscape.
Change Page Size
- Click on the Edit button.
- Click on Page Setup.
- Click on Page Size from the list of sizes available.
- Click OK.