In this article, I’ll cover how to change background colour in Instagram story. Instagram Stories is a great place to share the less cultivated, more casual content that you wouldn’t necessarily share to your Feed.
But that doesn’t mean that you can’t still curate a specific aesthetic for your Stories. You might have found it hard to create that consistent aesthetic with Stories, though, because of the limited options Instagram gives for Story backgrounds.
To give you back a little creative control, I’m breaking down a few different solutions for changing the background color of your Instagram Stories. If you’re using Instagram for your business, you’re probably more than familiar with Instagram Stories.
Whether you use it to talk directly to your followers, alert followers of a new Instagram post, share a quote or photo of significance or do a quick repost of content from other accounts, Instagram Stories are a tremendous tool for your business.
But did you know that you also have the ability to change your Instagram story background color? Most users tend to stick with the default background Instagram chooses based on the colors in your image because the methods to change it aren’t obvious at first glance.
And hey, sometimes, the gradient default color works just fine for your Instagram story background. But most of the time, you could probably use a little more creative freedom! This blog post tutorial will go over three ways to change the background color of your Story.
Read Article: Difference Between Landscape vs Portrait Orientation
How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story? 3 Tricks to Know
Unless you’re shooting in 9:16 with the express intention to share on Instagram or TikTok, most photos aren’t the right aspect ratio for Instagram.
You can crop your image, of course, but that’s not always the right option, especially if you took the time to set up and compose the perfect shot.
Cropping would ruin that artistic vision. To fill up that extra space around your not-9:16 image, IG will pull colors from your image and create a gradient background — which might also ruin your artistic vision.
There’s currently no option in the app to change the automatically applied background color. Instead, you can use a third-party image editing tool to resize your image and add a background of your choosing.
If you want to give your Insta story a new background, you have 3 options: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
- Change to a solid background.
- Upload a background from your camera roll.
- Add a color tint to your Instagram Story photo!
Tip 1 on How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
If you can’t find the icons or features discussed in this article, it may be time to head to the App Store (for iPhone) or Google Play store (for Android) and update your Instagram app!
Read Similar Article: How to Check Who Viewed Instagram Highlights?
Changing Your Instagram Story Background to a Solid Color: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
To change your background to a solid color: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
- Upload a photo from your camera roll to the Stories feature on the Instagram app. You can also repost your Story.
- Click the … in the top right corner and select draw.
- Select the pen option.
- Select your desired color with the color dropper tool or choose from the default color options.
- Tap (press and hold) the pen or eraser tool.
- Long press (press and hold) the middle of your background
- If you uploaded a photo, use the eraser icon to see the picture underneath the background color.
Tip 2 on How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
This method is also PERFECT for creating Instagram highlight covers. Just upload the image you want (usually an icon of some sort, such as an airplane to symbolize travel) and change the background color to your brand color.
Repeat for each highlight cover! You can also add a photo over your new background. To do this: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
- Open your Photos app.
- Select the image you want to add.
- Click the ‘Copy Photo’ option from the options menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Return to the Instagram app (Your Story-in-the-making should still be open)
- Click the ‘Add Sticker’ pop-up of your copied photo in the bottom left corner.
Changing Your Instagram Story Background from Your Camera Roll: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
If you want to use a specific image or background with more design to it, you can simply make your own. Here’s how: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
- Open a design tool, like Tailwind Create
- Select an Instagram Story background that you like.
- Download the image to your phone.
- Upload it to Instagram Stories
- Place stickers, text, hashtags, GIFs, and emojis over the background to personalize it even more!
- Optional: Add another image on top (see above)
Tip 3 on How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
If you love your new Stories so much you want to know how to add them to Instagram highlights, click on your Story after you post it. There will be an icon labelled ‘Highlight’ that will allow you to create a new Highlight for your profile or add the Story to an existing one.
Adding a Color Tint to Change Background of Instagram Story: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
To add a color tint to your Instagram Story: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
- Upload or take a photo in Stories.
- Tap the … button in the top right corner and select draw.
- Tap the Pen icon.
- Choose the color tint you want from the available options of using the color dropper tool!
- Tap the highlighter icon.
- Long press on your background (may be necessary depending on the version of the app you have)
- Tap/long press a second time to make a denser color tint.
- Tap/Long press a third time to create a solid color
Conclusion: How to Change Background Colour in Instagram Story?
Now that you know how to change your Instagram Story background color, you’re probably excited to get started! There are many reasons you might want to liven up your Instagram Story and change the background color, but one of the most popular uses is creating branded Instagram highlight covers!
Plus, you can keep your Instagram personal brand cohesive and unique with a little splash of color on your Instagram Stories! Now that you know how to change the background color on an IG Story, you’re ready to take the social media world by storm!