In this article you will get to know how to change airdrop name. AirDrop lets you quickly transfer files wirelessly between iPhones, iPads, and Macs. When you share a document, the recipient will see the name of the sending device.
If you’d like to change your AirDrop name, it only takes a few steps. Here’s how to do it. Before we begin, it’s important to know that your device’s AirDrop name is the same as the general device name that you might see while backing up your iPhone or iPad or in a list of devices in your iCloud account.
By default, this name will be your first name and the model’s name, such as “Benjy’s iPhone 8” or “Linda’s iPad Pro.” To change the name, we’ll need to visit Settings. AirDrop is a fast and convenient way to transfer files between Apple devices.
It works seamlessly on iPhones, iPads, and Macs, allowing you to share files and receive virtually any type of document with almost no prior setup. Apple’s transfer system makes it easy to AirDrop files by allowing you to identify devices using their name.
However, depending on your preferences, you may want to customize your AirDrop name to make it easier for people to know which iPhone, iPad, or Mac they’re sending files to.
Keep in mind that even if your Apple devices are linked to your Apple ID and iCloud, the device name doesn’t sync to other products and is specific to each one. Here’s how to customize it.
Read Article: How to Set a Custom Profile Picture for Netflix?
How to turn on AirDrop? -How to Change Airdrop Name?
If you’ve never used AirDrop on your Apple device, it may be turned off, potentially preventing you from receiving files from nearby devices. Here’s how to turn it on:
Turn on AirDrop on iPhones and iPads! -How to Change Airdrop Name?
- Navigate to Settings > General > AirDrop.
- The AirDrop settings on an iPhone
- Select Contacts Only if you’d like your contacts to be able to send you files when they’re nearby, without you having to turn it on manually. If the sender can’t see your phone or iPad, make sure you are in each other’s contacts list and that your email address and phone number are linked to your Apple ID and iCloud.
- Select Everyone for 10 minutes if you’d like all nearby devices to be able to send you files.
However, keep in mind this option is not recommended in crowded places, such as planes and malls, as it makes your phone or iPad visible to all Apple devices in the area. How to Change Airdrop Name.
Turn on AirDrop on a Mac-How to Change Airdrop Name?
- The easiest way to open AirDrop on a Mac is to open Finder and press Command+Shift+R on your keyboard.
- At the bottom of the page, click on Allow me to be discovered by.
- A screenshot of the AirDrop screen on macOS
- Select Contacts Only if you’d like your contacts to be able to send you files when they’re nearby, without you having to turn it on manually. If the sender can’t see your Mac, make sure you are in each other’s contacts list and that your email address and phone number are linked to your Apple ID and iCloud.
Select Everyone if you’d like all nearby devices to be able to send you files. Although this option is not recommended in crowded places, it’s less risky than on an iPhone, as AirDrop automatically closes as soon as you close the window. How to Change Airdrop Name.
How to Change Airdrop Name on iPhone?
Although this used to be relatively complex, as it required you to change your name on your contact card, the process is now simpler, thanks to iOS 16. You can now update the name of your iPhone in a few clicks and display your new AirDrop name to your contacts.
Changing your AirDrop name on an iPhone involves a change that you may not want to make. Luckily, that’s not true on the iPad and Mac, as we’ll see in the next two sections. AirDrop on the iPhone uses the name you have for yourself in your Contacts card.
Changing your name there changes how you appear in AirDrop, but it also changes your name in all uses that access your contact card. For instance, if we wanted to change the AirDrop name from “Sam” to “Mister X,” anytime Safari tries to autofill the name in a form on a website, it would use “Mister X” as the first name.
Potentially annoying! Still, if you want to change your name in AirDrop on your iPhone, here’s how to do it: How to Change Airdrop Name>
- Open your iPhone Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap About.
- Tap Name.
- Type a new name for your iPhone in the name field. It’s best to keep it short so that people can read it easily. This will be your new AirDrop name and will be used for Bluetooth and other connections, as well as when listing your device on iCloud and in Find My.
- Open the Contacts app (or open Phone and tap Contacts).
- Tap your name at the top of the list.
- Tap Edit.
- Tap your first name and then tap the x in that field to delete what’s there.
- Type in the new first name you want to use, and tap Done to save it.
- With that done, your AirDrop name has changed. It’s only changed on this iPhone, though—it doesn’t sync to other devices. It may take a few minutes for the change to register on other people’s devices when using AirDrop.
How to Change Airdrop Name on iPad?
iPads come with extensive computing power, turning them into small and versatile MacBooks. Since they work seamlessly with other Apple devices, they can also easily send and receive files over AirDrop. Giving your iPad a new AirDrop name is easy and only takes a few seconds. The process for changing your name on AirDrop on an iPad is different than on an iPhone. It doesn’t involve changing your name in contacts. Instead, you change the name of your iPad itself (which is good; it’s definitely less disruptive than changing your contact info). Here’s what to do: How to Change Airdrop Name.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap About.
- Tap Name.
- Tap the x to delete the current name for your iPad and type the new one that you want.
- When you’re done, tap Done on the keyboard, tap the back arrow in the top left, or both. The new name that you’ve given your iPad will now show up in AirDrop.
- Give your iPad a new name. Do your best to keep it short, so people can read it easily. Also, keep in mind this new name is reflected for Bluetooth and other connections, in addition to being your new AirDrop name. It will also be used in iCloud and Find My, so name it accordingly.
How to Change Airdrop Name on iPad or iPhone?
- First, open “Settings” on your iPhone or iPad.
- In Settings, navigate to General > About.
- In Settings > General, tap “About.”
- In the About menu, you’ll see the current AirDrop near the top of the screen. Tap “Name” to enter a new name.
- In “About,” tap “Name.”
- On the Name screen, tap the text entry area and type in the new name for your device, then tap “Done.”
This name will also be the device’s AirDrop name. The next time you send a document over AirDrop, the receiving iPhone, iPad, or Mac will see the new name that you just entered.
Have fun sending photos and videos wirelessly through the air as if by magic. Imagine if you went back 200 years and told someone you could do this—they’d immediately want to buy an iPhone. Too bad for them! How to Change Airdrop Name.
How to Change Airdrop Name on Mac?
MacBooks and all Mac computers running macOS also support AirDrop file sharing. Like with iPhones and iPads, the default AirDrop name is your computer name, which means it’s used for all other networks, including Bluetooth, iCloud, and Find My. Changing your computer name is very easy and only requires a few clicks. Changing your AirDrop name on a Mac is different from both iPhone and iPad, though it’s pretty similar to the iPad version. Just follow these steps: How to Change Airdrop Name.
- Click the Apple icon in the upper-right corner of your Mac’s screen.
- Go to System Settings.
- Click General on the left sidebar.
- A screenshot of the macOS settings
- Click About.
- Click the Name field and type your new computer name.
- This will be the new name of your Mac and will be used to identify it in AirDrop among nearby devices.
- In the top left corner of the screen, click the Apple menu and then System Preferences.
- Click Sharing.
- In the Computer Name field, delete your computer’s current name and enter the new name you want to use.
- When you have the name you want, close the window to save the new name. Now, that new name will appear whenever you use AirDrop on this Mac.https://youtu.be/zz3H7bao15g